This was an experiment. It was inspired by a photo of Courtney Kelley’s “Starboard Cape” in Interweave’s summer 2011 of Knitscene. Hers is a knit version, simple and quite elegant. I was attempting to make a crocheted shawl shaped like several I had recently designed in knitted versions.
I actually accomplished it, but it is rough. Increases in several places have small holes—which maybe I can fix. The pattern seems to go wonky after several increases for a bit. Perhaps I should have kept it simpler, but them I wouldn’t have learned so much.
Anyway, when I finished it, I tried using a chain of stitches to form a connection under the arms on both sides. It took some trial and error to find the best length, about 4 inches, and the best places to join. I went too far forward on the front to begin with. Finished, it looks and wears like a short jacket. The drapyness of the lace makes the sides look like sleeves. It may just be a lucky accident. I have notes, but am not willing to try to recreate it at this moment. So far it has no edge finishes, but I like the plain look.
The yarn is a wonderful cotton by Isager which is discontinued.